Saturday, August 13, 2011

12 August 2011

Can you say all nighter? Rather than crawling into my bed and going to sleep last night, I chose to stay awake and fight my eye lids. It was a good idea in theory, but it was killer by the end of the day. Two o'clock in the morning was met by a light breakfast in the Oasis. Whoever thought eating at two o'clock in the morning was a good idea is crazy! I could barely put anything in my mouth because I was so dazed - that and I found everything funny so I was laughing practically the entire time. With a word from Brother Huntington, we were all climbing the stairs to put our luggage on the buses and take our own seats. It was a bittersweet moment, saying goodbye to those who have taught and cared for me during the past few months. These people have become my family: the Muhlesteins, the Judds, the Chadwicks, the Ohmans, the Huntingtons... It was wonderful having them in my life and being able to learn from them. They taught me so much and it was because of them that my Jerusalem experience was as amazing as it was. Thank you to all of you and your families - for all of the hardwork that you put in, for all of the sleepless nights you encountered; I will never forget you.

We arrived at the Tel Aviv Ben Gurion Airport before four o'clock in the morning. We then proceeded to wait at security for the next...oh, I don't know...hour. It was absolutely ridiculous. I love how thorough the airport is; it keeps us safe from everything. But do you really think a group of Mormon American students is that big of a threat? Sure, we have our moments of stupidity but we aren't going to blow up a plane! I wish I would have gone off on my own and pretended I wasn't a part of the group. I could have been through the security lines in a few minutes rather than a few years! We eventually made it through the first series of security and checked-in. As soon as I had my ticket, I took off for the gate. While there were some who stayed behind...waiting and waiting for everyone else...I decided to be independent and get through the next series of security as quickly as possible so that I could sit down at the gate with a nice cup of hot chocolate. I was the first one to get to the gate, quickly followed by the other few who didn't wait around. I happily got my hot chocolate and waited for the plane to be boarded. Within fifteen or twenty minutes, I was walking to my seat on the plane as happy as can be.

The flight to Vienna was delightful. We made it without any problems. I slept for about twenty minutes of the flight and spent the remainder of the time watching Heavyweights and reading. The time flew by and I was elated. We landed in Vienna with just enough time to go through security lines and board the plane. However, I appeared to be a threat by this security and was thoroughly patted down. Can I just say awkward and uncomfortable? Let's just say it wasn't one of my finest moments. At least it was a woman rather than a man though... The ride to the Washington D.C. Dulles Airport was...BRUTAL. Luckily I was sitting by Ashley Wilkinson so I had the best plane buddy in the world. Unluckily, it was a nine hour flight that was extended to ten hours due to weather disruptions. We flew over Iceland and Greenland; that wasn't too horrible though. Have you ever seen those glaciers? Amazing! It was so beautiful that I had to take a few pictures! I couldn't let that just pass on by! For the ten hours or so on the plane, Ashley and I tried to sleep. Honestly, we did, but it was highly uncomfortable AND freezing. I thought my toes were going to fall off I was so cold! I snuggled up to Ashley for warmth and got in a couple hours of sleep but that was all. We watched a silly teenage drama called Prom and laughed through that...I can't say that I ever had that much drama while I was in high school. I'm glad I escaped all of that. I colored for a few minutes and read as well. But that was basically all I did. It was a long ride...

Touching down on American soil was...oh, I don't know...brilliant? As we walked through customs, we were greeted by security guard after security guard welcoming back to America. It felt good to be back in the land of the free. And the carpet and cleanliness was so foreign but so amazing. It is amazing what little things you take for granted. The layover in D.C. was about three hours and our terminal was very quiet. It was nice to sit back, relax, and eat the most unkosher food I could: spicy italian sandwich with bacon and cheese from Subway. Delicious. The plane ride to Salt Lake City was great! I was in and out for most of it. The last two hours, however, seemed neverending. It's amazing how anticipation can almost stop time. It was ridiculous! As the plane began to descent, my anticipation continued to build. By the time I was walking off the plane, my heart was just pounding! I would get to see my family in less than ten minutes. Rounding the corner and seeing my family waiting for me, I couldn't walk. I had to run! I ran straight into my mom's arms. It felt great to be home. To be back with them. Julie, Ben, Mom, Dad, and Rachel all met me at the airport. I have a wonderful family. I can't tell you how amazing they are. They brought me tacos at the airport! That was...the best thing ever. Haha too long had I been without Mexican food!

The ride back to Bountiful was quiet but great. It was nice to be in a real car again...to not have honking horns all around me, but at the same time it felt so strange. As I walked into my home, I was almost confused...this wasn't home, was it? Where were the arches? Where were the workers? And most importantly, where were all of the people? But as I spent more time there...as I was with my loved ones...I don't know how or why anything else could have been home. I was beyond excited to be back with my family where I belonged. This is my home and I am happy to be back in it. I took a shower and chatted with my family for a few minutes, but then it was off to bed. I was exhausted and ready to sleep. (I had only slept for five hours during the past 48 hours...) I crawled into bed at eleven o'clock at night with thoughts of Jerusalem on my mind.

It was an amazing summer. It's hard to believe that it really happened...that it is already over. But it did happen. And I loved every minute of it. The experiences that I had with forever be a part of me. They will never go forgotten or unremembered. Jerusalem is a part of me and I will never let it go.

If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget her cunning. If I do not remember thee, let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth; if I prefer not Jerusalem above my chief joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment